Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What to show a Swede?

What is the American Experience? Rasmus, my Swedish boyfriend came home with me during my most recent break. What do we do here that I haven’t seen in Norway or Sweden? Rasmus had his own list (taken from watching American TV and Movies). This included:

-eating a Twinkie
-eating at a diner

The strange part about these two is that they were also on the list of a Norwegian friend of my Aunt’s.

I made sure we did both. At the diner (Englanders in Oakland, MD) Rasmus discovered Western Omelets and decided that they were good (actually he couldn’t stop talking about them) I tried to steer clear of the normal tourist things. Instead we did everything from going to a demolition derby to going to an Amish country fest to going to Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Water to playing miniature golf in a cave. Not to worry – we did do some normal stuff – hanging out at the lake, going swimming, going into DC for a day, and going shark tooth hunting down in southern MD.

What would you show to a Swede coming to the US? What is unique about where you live within the US?

2 comments:

Andrew P Brett said...

How about a baseball game? I would go to a baseball game, even minor league games can be a lot of fun. This is, after all, the country that calls its national championship for the sport the "World Series."

Laura said...

well we didn't make it to a base ball game, but we did make it to the Batting Cage! I stuck Rasmus in there and he did super well!