Wednesday, January 10, 2007

What I do

If you click on the link to this Canadian oil company, they have a great animation on their homepage that shows what I do. Click on it and you can see a boat pulling a cable. There are guns located very near to the boat, that go off about every 10-15 seconds. On the cables there are hundreds of receivers (or hydrophones), that pick up or "hear" the sound of the guns. The receivers hear the direct sound, but also the sound that bounces off of the ocean bottom, and off of geological layers below the surface. The result is the black and white picture / diagram that you can also see in the animation. One difference though between the animation and us, is that we have 8 cables and not one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura?
How are you?

Anyway.. I enjoyed reading ur blog so much.. nice stories and keep on posting 'em.. i would like to read more n more..

actually, i'm currently a 3rd year undergrad student taking Electrical Eng. and going 2 undergo my internship in next june.. well..i got the interview with schlumberger and managed to pass the 2nd stage interview.. and.. in few weeks 2 come, i'm scheduled to meet the operation manager for the 3rd stage (and hopefully the last) interview. And they assigned me under WesternGeco which I'm aware, the segment (or whatever they call it) u're currently working with.

So..hopefully u can help me a lil bit here. Can u please describe 2 me further about WesternGeco + what kind of questions are they (the operation managers) going to ask during the interview. I keep on reading your blog repeatedly but i hope u can describe to me more about WesternGeco..(the sourroundings.. working environment.. what sort of preparations would i have 2 do etc etc..anything that u think might help me)

I know u're kinda busy there and maybe don't have time for this. But I really hope u can do me the favor. (-__-)' <--pity me.


Anyway..this is my email..
aman_tidus@hotmail.com

Thanks a lot =)

Regards
~Awangku
Malaysia.

Huiping said...

Hi, Laura,

This is Huiping.

I have contacted with Steve days before. And he sent me a Chinese email. It is coooool.

Nice to see your progess. I will stay for more.

Best regards.